- Minimize the need for interior partitions through open plan layouts.
- Consolidate permanent spaces to the greatest extent integrating storage, equipment, restrooms, stairs and other core spaces along permanent partitions.
- Minimize corridor walls in administrative facilities; open circulation spaces are preferred.
- Design and configure functionally required interior partitions to preserve a building’s passive heating, cooling, and daylighting systems.
- Use demountable partitions and systems furniture to define administrative spaces.
Use open office configurations and open plan arrangements for maximum flexibility. Minimize the use of constructed walls; permanent or semi-permanent interior walls for private offices and spaces are discouraged. Providing visual and acoustical privacy and security in systems furniture or modular furniture is preferred.
Provide durable low-maintenance wall materials and finishes for a long life span with the possibility of one or more uses of spaces during that time. Apply wall finishes assuming a 10-year lifespan. Color shall be cohesive and of consistent quality throughout a facility.
Comply with Unified Facilities Criteria for Sound Transmission Loss (TL), Noise Reduction (NR) and Sound Transmission Class (STC) ratings.
Cost-effectively incorporate passive design strategies before active mechanical systems are designed following UFC 1-200-02. Fully integrate openings within walls to support passive systems.
Interior elements must preserve the functionality of thermal-mass floors and walls; coordinate functionally required partitions with the building’s passive heating and cooling system. Use integrally colored materials, such as masonry or concrete, for thermal-mass walls.
UFC 1-200-01 General Building Requirements http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_1_200_01_2016.pdf
UFC 1-200-02 High Performance and Sustainable Building Requirements http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_1_200_02_2016.pdf
UFC 3-120-10 Interior Design http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_120_10_2006_c1.pdf
UFC 3-450-01 Noise and Vibration Control http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_450_01_2003.pdf
AFI 32-6002 U.S. Air Force Family Housing Planning, Programming, Design, and Construction http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/AF/AFI/afi_32_6002.pdf
USAF/DOE Design Guide for Military Family Housing - Energy Efficient Revitalization and New Construction http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/AF/AFDG/milfam.pdf
US Air Force Family Housing Design Guide for Planning, Programming, Design and Construction http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/AF/AFDG/familyhousing.pdf