- Provide illumination levels that support specific activities with minimum energy requirements.
- Include sensors for occupancy and daylight levels and provide controls for dimming in conference rooms, classrooms and assembly areas.
- Efficient accent lighting may be used in lobbies and special applications spaces.
- The use of indirect lighting is encouraged.
- Use consistent lamps and light color throughout a facility.
- Locate fixtures for ease of maintenance and lamp replacement.
- Provide flexible, adaptable power and communications systems that can easily accommodate changes.
- Ensure COMM infrastructure requirements supporting new technologies are embedded within the overall design.
- Provide wire management for all major distribution; organize and install wiring and cabling with access for servicing and to allow flexibility for upgrades.
- Conceal cables, conduit, equipment and devices in permanent partitions, below raised floors or above suspended ceilings when provided.
- For exposed-structure applications, coordinate and arrange conduits and raceways for an organized appearance; provide wire-management systems in open-plan arrangements.
- Install flush-mounted emergency lights and other devices in an organized arrangement; provide factory finishes that match the color of the adjacent surface.
- Provide separate communications rooms.
Provide daylighting as the primary lighting source and supplement it with highly efficient ambient and task lighting; integrate lighting controls, timers, occupancy sensors and photo cells with fixtures to maximize energy savings from the daylighting.
Fully integrate lighting, power and communications systems and equipment with the overall building design. Ensure maximum adaptability of these systems.
Properly select fixtures and devices for the Facility Group.
Use low-energy lamping such as LED for artificial lighting following project considerations under ETL 12-15; provide a color spectrum similar to daylight.
Situate equipment to preserve the paths of daylighting.
Promote indoor environmental quality and products with recycled content.
UFC 3-120-10 Interior Design http://www.wbdg.org/ffc/dod/unified-facilities-criteria-ufc/ufc-3-120-10
UFC 3-520-01 Interior Electrical Systems http://www.wbdg.org/ffc/dod/unified-facilities-criteria-ufc/ufc-3-520-01
UFC 3-530-01 Interior and Exterior Lighting Systems and Controls http://www.wbdg.org/ffc/dod/unified-facilities-criteria-ufc/ufc-3-530-01
UFC 3-580-01 Telecommunications Interior Infrastructure Planning and Design http://www.wbdg.org/ffc/dod/unified-facilities-criteria-ufc/ufc-3-580-01