- Design all stormwater systems including retention ponds, detention areas, channels, etc. as on-site amenities that are consistent with natural systems and drainage patterns, that help sustain the base landscape with beneficial functionality and that provide aesthetic appeal; coordinate with the base Stormwater Management Plan.
- Incorporate bioswales into the design of all roadway, parking and facility roof systems to enhance water quality and support the overall stormwater system.
- Permeable paving may be used in areas that are not subjected to severe freeze-thaw cycles.
- Provide rainwater harvesting and storage that is attached to the building's roof drain systems to support grey water irrigation; consider freeze protection for winter months.
- When underground drainage systems are required establish a maintenance program to include removal of sediments and debris; inspect joints seasonally for alignment to prevent leakage and the development of voids and surface failures.
- Cost-effectively integrate stormwater systems with ATFP measures.
Manage stormwater runoff by emulating the site’s pre-development hydrology using passive and active design features that infiltrate, store and evaporate runoff close to its source of origin.
Analyze pre-development hydrology including soil type, ground cover, and ground slope to establish water volume to be managed following UFC 3-210-10. Cost effectively design on-site interception, infiltration, storage, or evapotranspiration systems to manage the increase in runoff between pre- and post-development conditions.
UFC 3-201-01 Civil Engineering http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_201_01_2013.pdf
UFC 3-210-10 Low Impact Development http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_210_10_2015_c1.pdf
ETL 08-6 Design of Surface Drainage Facilities http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/AF/AFETL/etl_08_6.pdf
ETL 14-1 Construction and Operation and Maintenance Guidance for Storm Water Systems http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/AF/AFETL/etl_14_1.pdf
U. S. Air Force Project Manager’s Guide for Design and Construction http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/AF/AFDG/pmguide.pdf