- Efficiently install parking lot, sidewalk and facility lighting with appropriate luminaires, lamping, placement and spacing following Installation Facilities Standards (IFS); pole-mounted, wall-mounted and bollard fixtures are permitted.
- Integrate controls to automatically reduce lighting power during periods of non-activity; automatically turn off power when sufficient daylight is available.
- Sufficiently address environmental factors to prevent corrosion and weathering of fixtures, plinths and other components.
- Economically provide renewable-energy power sources such as solar photovoltaic when feasible.
- Use appropriately designed or shielded luminaires to direct light downward to minimize light pollution and intrusion onto adjacent sites and to facilitate night training.
- Coordinate the design, luminaire selection, and placement with the location of trees, shrubs, and other site furnishings; landscape accent lighting may be use in public gathering spaces and in Group 1 facilities.
- Develop lighting in parking areas to provide an illuminated path to the building’s main entrance.
- Efficient architectural accent lighting may be provided on Group 1 and historically significant structures following IFS.
Reduce energy consumption by using energy efficient technologies, effective illuminance levels and by implementing control strategies while ensuring appropriate lighting quality. Select long-life technologies, lamps, fixtures and finishes and limit quantities to reduce maintenance requirements. Address antiterrorism and physical security following UFC 4-010-01.
Ensure the quality and quantities of lighting and fixtures are appropriate for the Facility Group.
Comply with guidance for energy efficiency and sustainable design under UFC 1-200-02. Aggressively pursue renewable-energy power sources such as solar photovoltaic when cost effective.
UFC 1-200-02 High Performance and Sustainable Building Requirements http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_1_200_02_2016.pdf
UFC 3-101-01 Architecture http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_101_01_2011_c3.pdf
UFC 3-201-01 Civil Engineering http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_201_01_2013.pdf
UFC 3-401-01 Mechanical Engineering http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_401_01_2013_c1.pdf
UFC 3-501-01 Electrical Engineering http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_501_01_2015.pdf
UFC 3-530-01 Interior and Exterior Lighting Systems and Controls http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_530_01_2015_c3.pdf
UFC 3-550-01 Exterior Electrical Power Distribution http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_550_01_2016.pdf
UFC 3-575-01 Lightning and Static Electricity Protection Systems http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_575_01_2012.pdf
UFC 3-580-01 Telecommunications Interior Infrastructure Planning and Design http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_580_01_2016_c1.pdf
UFC 3-600-01 Fire Protection Engineering for Facilities http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_600_01_2016_c1.pdf