- Emulate the streetscape area’s pre-development hydrology using passive and active design features to help sustain the adjacent regionally appropriate landscape. Coordinate with the base Stormwater Management Plan.
- Employ systems, materials and techniques to maximize streetscape sustainability. Consider pervious paving and reflectivity of surfaces appropriate for the local climate.
- Install at-grade curbing and/or raised-profile curb and gutter as applicable to direct stormwater to bioswales and rain gardens as source water for vegetation. Do not paint concrete curbing.
- Provide all on-site utility service lines and equipment below grade when adjacent to Facility Group 1. In routes along Group 2, 3 and 4, when mounting elements such as utility cabinets, communications equipment and water valves above grade is unavoidable, paint these consistently and provide visual screening following Installation Facilities Standards (IFS).
- Provide traffic control devices including access control point/entry control facility signs, speed limit signs and street name signs following the current edition of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) per UFC 3-120-01.
- Follow UFC 3-120-01 for directional and wayfinding signs and address both vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
- Reduce energy consumption and reduce maintenance requirements by providing street lighting only when functionally required to ensure safety and to address antiterrorism following UFC 4-010-01. Ensure the quality and quantities of lighting and fixtures are appropriate for the adjacent Facility Group number.
Establish and illustrate a hierarchy of street types on an installation through Street Envelope Standards. Address and provide dimensions as applicable for vehicular traffic-lanes, curb radii, sight lines, bike lanes, medians, pedestrian buffers, force protection features, sidewalks, crosswalks, tree planting areas, site furnishings, signs, lighting, utilities, on-street parking, and paving. Provide standards for arterials, collectors, local streets, and special routes such as those designated to accommodate distinguished visitors. Include this information in the base’s Installation Facilities Standards (IFS).
Coordinate Street Envelope Standards with the Installation Development Plan and its related component plans. Establish an appropriate level of quality that corresponds to the adjacent Facility Group number.
Comply with guidance for water conservation, energy efficiency and sustainable design under UFC 1-200-02. Develop bioswales as constituent parts of street envelopes to enhance water quality and support the overall stormwater system.
UFC 1-200-02 High Performance and Sustainable Building Requirements http://www.wbdg.org/ffc/dod/unified-facilities-criteria-ufc/ufc-1-200-02
UFC 2-100-01 Installation Master Planning http://www.wbdg.org/ffc/dod/unified-facilities-criteria-ufc/ufc-2-100-01
UFC 3-201-01 Civil Engineering http://www.wbdg.org/ffc/dod/unified-facilities-criteria-ufc/ufc-3-201-01
UFC 3-201-02 Landscape Architecture http://www.wbdg.org/ffc/dod/unified-facilities-criteria-ufc/ufc-3-201-02
UFC 3-210-10 Low Impact Development http://www.wbdg.org/ffc/dod/unified-facilities-criteria-ufc/ufc-3-210-10
UFC 3-440-01 Facility-Scale Renewable Energy Systems http://www.wbdg.org/ffc/dod/unified-facilities-criteria-ufc/ufc-3-440-01
UFC 3-550-01 Exterior Electrical Power Distribution http://www.wbdg.org/ffc/dod/unified-facilities-criteria-ufc/ufc-3-550-01
UFC 3-575-01 Lightning and Static Electricity Protection Systems http://www.wbdg.org/ffc/dod/unified-facilities-criteria-ufc/ufc-3-575-01
UFC 4-010-01 DoD Minimum Antiterrorism Standards for Buildings http://www.wbdg.org/ffc/dod/unified-facilities-criteria-ufc/ufc-4-010-01
UFC 4-022-03 Security Fences and Gates http://www.wbdg.org/ffc/dod/unified-facilities-criteria-ufc/ufc-4-022-03
AFI 32-7062 Comprehensive Planning http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a4/publication/afi32-7062/afi32-7062.pdf