- Develop and evolve a hierarchical transportation network of arterial, collector and local streets following UFC 3-201-01 and its industry references.
- Provide consistent functionality throughout the installation and a level of visual quality relating to the adjacent Facility Group number.
- Routes along facilities in Group 1 may have materials, finishes and features with a higher visual quality than Groups 2, 3 and 4. Reduce maintenance requirements by installing highly durable materials and finishes in routes along Group 3 industrial facilities.
- Special routes may have a visual quality comparable to those along facilities in Group 1.
- Create and maintain arterials with two lanes of traffic in each direction with landscaped or paved medians as applicable to the local climate and adjacent facility group designation / land use.
- Minimize stops and turns along arterials. Eliminate on-street parking along arterials and collector streets.
- Connect arterials to local streets with appropriately scaled collector streets.
- Provide appropriate landscape setbacks and pedestrian buffers along all streets.
- Minimize and consolidate curb cuts along streets.
- Ensure access for emergency and service vehicles.
- Define bicycle traffic routes in the Installation Development Plan or its applicable component plans.
- Provide illustrations in the Installation Facilities Standards (IFS) to include street cross-sections and plans for every type of street specified on the installation. At a minimum provide dimensions for vehicular traffic-lanes, curb radii, medians, bike lanes, pedestrian buffers, sidewalks, crosswalks, tree planting areas, and on-street parking configurations.
- Define appropriate force protection features, site furnishings, signs, lighting, utilities, and paving in the IFS.
Establish and illustrate a hierarchy of street types on an installation through Street Envelope Standards. Address and provide dimensions as applicable for vehicular traffic-lanes, curb radii, sight lines, bike lanes, medians, pedestrian buffers, force protection features, sidewalks, crosswalks, tree planting areas, site furnishings, signs, lighting, utilities, on-street parking, and paving. Provide standards for arterials, collectors, local streets, and special routes such as those designated to accommodate distinguished visitors. Include this information in the base’s Installation Facilities Standards (IFS).
Coordinate Street Envelope Standards with the Installation Development Plan and its related component plans. Establish an appropriate level of quality that corresponds to the adjacent Facility Group number.
Comply with guidance for water conservation, energy efficiency and sustainable design under UFC 1-200-02. Develop bioswales as constituent parts of street envelopes to enhance water quality and support the overall stormwater system.
UFC 1-200-02 High Performance and Sustainable Building Requirements http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_1_200_02_2016.pdf
UFC 2-100-01 Installation Master Planning http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_2_100_01_2012.pdf
UFC 3-201-01 Civil Engineering http://wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_201_01_2013_c1.pdf
UFC 3-210-10 Low Impact Development http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_210_10_2015_c1.pdf
UFC 3-440-01 Facility-Scale Renewable Energy Systems http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_440_01_2015.pdf
UFC 3-550-01 Exterior Electrical Power Distribution http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_550_01_ch1.pdf
UFC 3-575-01 Lightning and Static Electricity Protection Systems http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_575_01_2012.pdf
UFC 4-010-01 DoD Minimum Antiterrorism Standards for Buildings http://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/UFC/ufc_4_010_01_2012_c1.pdf
UFC 4-022-03 Security Fences and Gates http://wbdg.org/ffc/dod/unified-facilities-criteria-ufc/ufc-4-022-03
AFI 32-7062 Comprehensive Planning http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a4/publication/afi32-7062/afi32-7062.pdf